Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Michael Jackson Memories

I wasn't going to write about Michael Jackson. I mean, my god, what else is there to say? Personally I saw him in concert twice and both were extravaganzas. Even more, as a white DJ in the eighties, I loved the way he could put all people from all colors on the dance floor at the same time. The only other solo artist who could do that was Phil Collins. Go figure!

Suddenly-on the 7th day after his shocking death-two incidents made me put aside my review of the Clapton/Winwood concert I saw at the MGM Grand (should be my next installment) to write this epitaph.

First: I turned over my calendar for the month of July and Michael Jackson ("Off The Wall" era) was staring at me! I have a nice Rolling Stone magazine "Decades of Rock" wall calendar for 2009. It started with The Who and The Dead and now its the King of Pop! I'd never looked through the entire calendar so I had no idea that his haunting visage would be with me for the next 31 days.

Second: Speaking of Rolling Stone magazine, I received a year's subscription for free when I bought the calendar back in January. If you have the latest issue with the Jonas Brothers on the cover (I know, pathetic right?) then you may have read an article on page 19 entitled "Michael Jackson's Troubled Comeback". Pretty much describes everything that would happen in the coming weeks except for his ultimate demise.

I was doubtful about the singer's ability to perform 50 dates in the UK. The Rolling Stone article said it would be his last chance at redemption. The promoter-AEG Live-had already advanced Jackson $5 million to pay off a major debt. Now AEG has to pay back all those ticket holders. Just like they paid David Beckham millions to play soccer in L.A, another complete failure. Amazing this company is still in business!

When I saw Jackson, he was in his prime. December 1984 at Dodger Stadium with his brothers The Jacksons. The "Victory" tour was actually the unofficial "Thriller" tour for MJ and the first chance to hear those songs live in concert. I had great seats from the newspaper I was writing for and regret not bringing my camera. I'd heard security would be tight and absolutely no cameras but when I arrived with my fiance' in tow we breezed through the ticket line. In time to hear "Beat It""Billie Jean" and my favorite "Human Nature" plus the rarely performed "Heartbreak Hotel." Taught me its always worth it to try and get the camera in, usually you succeed.

In the late Eighties one could always see Michael Jackson in the spectacular 3D Movie Captain EO showing around the clock at Disneyland. I saw it about five times and loved the song "We Are Here To Change The World" which was unreleased at the time. This is how big MJ was after Thriller: Francis Ford Coppola directed Captain EO and George Lucas produced it.
I always wondered why Jackson did not follow up with another big screen endeavor.

The next time I saw MJ live was with a new girlfriend at the LA Sports Arena in January 1989. Notable for his co-vocalist on the sappy ballad "I Can't Stop Loving You"- the then unknown Sheryl Crow! The 15,000 seat Sports Arena was one of the smallest venues of the BAD tour and it was great to hear "The Way You Make Me Feel" in such an intimate setting. On that night my chance for romance was quashed when a semi-major earthquake hit LA during the concert. We didn't feel it while the show was on-not even Mother Nature could stop a Michael Jackson concert!

Unfortunately, something else could stop his life. Rest In Peace, MJ...

No comments:

Post a Comment